Payment Default Register
Estonian Credit Register was established by Estonian banks in 2001 and it is administered by Creditinfo; it contains delayed payments of companies and private persons. The register was created with the aim to protect companies from chronic debtors and to improve people’s payment discipline.Get in touch
Information on payment defaults is entered and used by Estonian creditors from all vital areas, such as banking, communications, telecommunications, fuel, trade, construction, rental, transportation, etc.
What is a Payment Default?
A payment default is a violation of the debtor’s monetary obligation (failure to perform or improper performance of the obligation, including delays in execution) which satisfies the following conditions:
- The infringement has lasted more than forty-five (45) days after the date of the financial obligation, i.e. the day following the payment date;
- The amount shall be at least thirty (30) Euros, which may include both a main claim and/or collateral claim for the financial undertaking;
- The arrears underlying the payment default must be true, verified and executable.
After the publication of a payment default in the register, the amount of the payment default may fall below 30 euros.
The information disclosed to third parties about payment defaults includes the number of disputed payment defaults and the start and end dates of valid and ended payment defaults, the amount and origin of the default (the person entering the default and its field of activity).
The data about defaults is updated (increased or decreased) according to the debt balance at least once a week, if necessary.
The info about defaults shall be ended upon ending of the breach of the obligation underlying the debt, including full payment of the debt. The end date of the default is the end date of the default, eg the date of payment of the debt.
Ended payment defaults are published in the register for 7 years in the case of companies and up to 5 years in the case of individuals.
It is important to know that if an agreement is entered into with the debtor to pay the default, or the payment is made after the default is published, the default will not be cleared in agreement with the debtor. Cancellation of the publication of a payment default is possible if the debt information has not been published yet.
Reasons to Enter Debt Information to the Payment Default Register?
- Accelerates the payment of debts – on average 25% of published defaults are paid in the first month and 40% in 3 months;
- Warns other companies about a cooperation or contract partner with bad payment behavior – more than 800,000 inquiries about payment defaults are made in Creditinfo environments in one month;
- Helps Estonian entrepreneurs make the right credit decisions and enables the application of the principle of responsible lending – the debt information entered in the register is used in rating and score calculation models and credit assessments.
There are 2 ways to enter data to the Payment Default Register:
- If there are not many debtors, we recommend entering payment defaults via E-Krediidiinfo. In order to obtain the right to enter payment defaults, a framework agreement must be entered into for the use of E-Krediidiinfo. The one-time contract conclusion fee is 50 € + km.
- In the case of a larger number of debtors, it is reasonable to transmit the data through the interface. Specific conditions will be agreed in the contract.
To enter into the agreement required for entering payment defaults, send a free-form message with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 665 9600.
Who Can Enter Data to the Registry?
Companies that have entered into an agreement with Creditinfo Estonia have the right to enter the company’s payment defaults in the payment default register through E-Krediidiinfo.
How to Enter Debts to the Registry?
The registration of individual payment defaults in the Payment Default Register takes place in multiple of stages. More detailed overview can be seen in e-Krediidiinfo.See the manual
How much does it cost to enter payment defaults in E-Krediidiinfo in the Payment Default Register?
Entering payment orders via e-Krediidiinfo is free of charge. Prior to the publication of a payment default, a notice shall be sent to the debtor in case of payment failures entered through e-Krediidiinfo. The cost of sending each payment default notification by post is EUR 2.46 + VAT and by e-mail EUR 1.07 + VAT.